Sunday, January 08, 2006

taiwan - beitou

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Since Taiwan has hotsprings in many areas containing different health-promoting minerals, we tried two different places (Beitou in Taipei and Jiaoxi in Ilan). Beitou won hands down. So we altered the preplanned schedule just to come back to this same place for a second soak. The water is murky-white here, with a strong sulfuric aftersmell (volcanic?). And the clothes I wore after the soaking sessions still carry the smell, even after a few rounds of washing! Strong shit, this. I feel healthier already.


The room with its private tub so reminds me of Japan, right up to the pre-soak shower equipment. I couldn't quite get use to showering sitting down, so I bet them passer-bys had some fun looking in the window.




I could even watch the telly while enjoying a health-boosting soak! It took me a while though to get use to the sulfuric smell and not think about how lighting a match could explode the whole hotel.




Right below the window (opposite the hotel) is the public hotspring where you only need to pay a minimal fee for a half-day soaking session. Besides not willing to buy a swimsuit, I didn't want some old fart staring me at the face trying to guess if I'm an aboriginal woman or Vietnamese while stealing glances at my cleavage.




H-E-A-V-E-N-L-Y.

0 comments: